May 20, 2018

5 arrows: Bhishma and Duryodhana

A brief recap: 

Part 1: Duryodhana felt enraged as eight of his brothers were killed so far after the end of eighth day battle in Kurukshetra, while Kauravas were not even close to capturing Pandavas. His provoking accusation leads Bhishma to take a vow to kill all the Pandavas before next dusk with five golden arrows on which he had imbued his life’s penance.

Part 2: Krishna summoned Arjuna and explained to him about Bhishma's vow with 5 arrows. Not knowing what to do, Arjuna begged Krishna to suggest Pandavas a way out. Krishna asked Arjuna to visit Duryodhana's tent and ask for the 5 arrows.

Part 3: Overwhelmed by Arjuna's presence in his tent, Duryodhana offered Arjuna to ask whatever he wants, not knowing his clever ploy. Counting his lucky stars for this volunteer offer, Arjuna asked Duryodhana for those 5 golden arrows.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every new day begins with a sunrise. After a day-long struggle, every living being on Earth goes to sleep with a hope that the modern-day beckons them with a new beginning. The first ray of the sun is significant. One who sees the first ray of Sun is blessed to see a new hope and begin his day on a positive note. Often, a layer of cloud obscures the view changing expectation to despair. A layer of cloud, in the form of 5 arrows, had covered the aspect of Bhishma. Ever since he gave the 5 golden arrows to Duryodhana, Bhishma could not be at peace with himself. 

"How could I do this? How did I allow myself to be provoked by Duryodhana? I should have handled the situation in a better way. What more am I going to do to fulfill my vow? Dear God! What have I done to face this situation? Please answer me", he let out a silent prayer.

With a heavy heart, he donned the attire of commander-in-chief. Every passing minute felt like an arrow piercing through his body. Letting out a long sigh of despair, he left his tent and marched towards Duryodhana's place.

"My dear Duryodhana, to make you happy, I imbibed my lifelong penance on five golden arrows and have it in your possession. I am pretty sure you must have rejoiced your night with the assurance that the five Pandavas will be killed in the battlefield today with those arrows. It is now time to fulfill my vow and satisfy your desire. Bring me those five arrows.", he commanded.

The grief-stricken Duryodhana walked sluggishly towards Bhishma and said in an inaudible voice, "Dear Pitamah, those 5 golden arrows are no longer in my possession".

"What happened Duryodhana? You look troubled. Tell me what happened to those 5 golden arrows? Did someone steal from your tent? How dare!  I will soon find the thief and behead him in front of your eyes. Do not worry."

"No, my dear great-grandfather. Nobody stole those 5 arrows from me."

"What happened then?"

"Last night, Arjuna came to my tent after you left. Overwhelmed by his presence, I immediately offered him to ask whatever he wants, not knowing his clever ploy. He asked for those 5 arrows. I did not have a choice!"

"Unbelievable! How did Arjuna know about those 5 arrows?", Bhishma asked far-fetched.

"I have no idea Pitamah. But I do believe that cowherd Krishna must be behind all this."

Hearing this, Bhishma's face was distorted with rage. "How dare that Krishna tricked you into breaking my vow? To fulfill my vow is my dharma. People call me Bhishma for that very reason! In today's battlefield, I will break Krishna's vow!", he thundered.

What was Krishna's vow? Did Bhishma succeed in breaking Krishna's promise? What happened next? The final part of this five-part series will bring the closure.

No comments:

Post a Comment